Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Forgotten Movies: IN A LONELY PLACE




Wow, this is very different from the book but no less fantastic. Humphrey Bogart plays Dix Steele an alcoholic screenwriter with a long time between screenplays as the movie opens. He's been through the war and is trying to make a comeback. He meets Gloria Graham early on and there is an immediate attraction. And soon she alibis him for the murder of a hatcheck girl who was in his apartment earlier that night reading him a novel that he might adapt. Dix's problem is he has a temper that just won't quit. He's brutal, perhaps a sociopath. And Gloria has her issues too. This is a tense film and kudos to Bogart for playing such an difficult guy. Such a very sad love story.
Tomorrow we talk about the novel.

For a far better review than I have the time or talent to write, see this one from Roger Ebert. 

New Yorkers, This is playing at the Metrograph on Sept 12th at 7 pm with Megan doing the introduction. God knows where she gets the energy. Not from me. 

11 comments:

George said...

When does Megan sleep? Of course, I ask the same question when Patrick and Katie are traveling around the world. That generation seems to function on vary little sleep.

Jeff Meyerson said...

The adaptation of the book Ebert mentioned, FILM STARS DON'T DIE IN LIVERPOOL, with Annette Bening as the dying Grahame, is opening on December 15. This seems like very good casting to me. I just downloaded the Peter Turner book from the library.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And they seem more willing to sacrifice a personal life for work.
Really like Annette Benning. Will look for book.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My library doesn't have it and can't get it. Let me know if it's worth buying.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I will. Apparently he was a much younger man who had an affair with Grahame, then took care on her in her last days. I bet Megan has read it.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I was going to suggest you get a Brooklyn Public Library card, as they have a LOT of ebooks you can borrow. However, the flaw is, you need to be a New York State resident. And you have to go to the library with ID within 30 days. You could get a card as an out of state user but they will charge you $50.

Or...you can use Megan's address (might have to actually sign up in her name) to get an ecard, whereby you can borrow ebooks.

Or, forget all that. Just a thought. Not that any of us need more books, right?

Anonymous said...

I can't keep up with the younger generation, either. I have no idea how my daughter manages on as little sleep as she sometimes gets.

Gerard Saylor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charles Gramlich said...

Can't see this title without thinking of the story collection from Karl Edward Wagner

Cap'n Bob said...

Okay, I admit it. I've watched this movie ay least twice and I never fully understood it.

As for Dorothy Hughes, I rode in the back of an airporter on the way to San Francisco International after a B'con back in the eighties. The vehicle was like a small Mexican bus and as it barreled down the Bayshore Freeway it bounced us around like superballs. Through it all Dorothy talked to me in a gentle voice and rode the bumps and bangs like she was in a rocking chair as I pinged off the walls and ceiling. I didn't understand a word she said and to this day I regret missing out on that conversation.

Cap'n Bob said...

I should have been more clear at the beginning of the previous post. I rode with Dorothy Hughes in that awful conveyance.